Beginner’s Guide to CBD Oil
By entering this website, you agree that you're of legal age in your state to purchase hemp and CBD products.
Falsifying your age for the purposes of purchasing products from this website is illegal and punishable by law!
Beginner’s Guide to CBD Oil
Whether you’re familiar with the expanding world of cannabis, consider yourself part of the natural living community, or just interested in the latest trending products, odds are that you’ve heard about CBD. CBD, or cannabidiol, is a molecule found in members of the Cannabis genus that's taking the world by storm, serving an important role in changing the way people perceive this class of plants. One of the most commonly-known products associated with this unique ingredient is CBD oil, which is popping up in everything from skincare and massage creams to green smoothies and more. It seems like everyone is talking about CBD oil – but what exactly is it?
We’ve put together this useful guide to break down everything you need to know about CBD oil, giving you a comprehensive resource that makes it easy to understand how and why this new product has everyone buzzing.
What is CBD?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is one of many naturally-occurring molecules in the Cannabaceae family. It’s one of the most prevalent cannabinoids in the Cannabis genus and considered among the “active ingredients” that can be sourced from the various species of hemp and marijuana plants. Although CBD has only recently become a trending topic in the mainstream, it actually has a long and varied history of use across the globe.
CBD is often associated with another well-known cannabinoid, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). While both CBD and THC are widely present (in varying amounts) in the Cannabaceae family, and are both considered active cannabinoids, they are very different compounds. Unlike THC, CBD does not produce the intoxicating effects or "high", that are usually correlated with the use of THC-rich marijuana.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is created using a CBD-rich extract typically sourced from the hemp plant, and legally containing no more than 0.3% THC. Varying concentrations of CBD extract is mixed with a carrier oil, such as MCT oil, to make it more convenient to use. You will most often see CBD oil packaged in small bottles with an accompanying dropper, to be used in different methods according to personal preference.
How is CBD Oil Made?
The first step in making most CBD oils you see for sale today is to grow and harvest CBD-rich hemp plants which are specifically chosen for their negligible levels of THC. After harvesting the plants, the extraction process begins. During this process, the desirable components of the plant, including CBD, are separated from the unwanted portions.
Extraction can be accomplished using various solvents, however, the Supercritical CO2 extraction method is one of the more efficient options for producing high-quality extracts. This method makes use of non-toxic CO2, a fluid that is used in a wide range of FDA-approved applications in the food industry. The CO2 makes it possible to extract the CBD, oils, fatty acids, and other desired compounds from the plant, eliminating any unneeded plant material. Then, the CO2 solvent is removed, resulting in a final product with a rich concentration of CBD. At this point in the process, a carrier oil may be added to create a versatile, easy-to-use product.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
The 2018 Farm Bill removed hemp (and hemp-derived products) from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) on the condition that certain requirements are met.
The cultivation of “industrial” hemp plants is now permitted federally, so long as the plants contain no more than 0.3% THC. CBD products made from these hemp plants, including CBD oils, can be legally sold due to the negligible levels of THC. Because products without significant THC content are non-intoxicating, it has been deemed that they are not subject to the same laws governing the cultivation and use of THC-rich species such as marijuana. Therefore, you can currently legally purchase CBD oils that meet the federally established requirements. However, we recommend you refer to the laws of your state and municipality regarding the possession and use of CBD products.
Is CBD Marijuana?
Many people are confused about how CBD is or isn’t connected to marijuana, making clarification very important in increasing CBD awareness. Marijuana is a term used to describe the THC-rich subspecies of the Cannabis indica and Cannabis sativa plants.
Until recently, marijuana was the best-known member of the Cannabis genus, with its primary active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), taking a leading role. However, marijuana also contains CBD and varying strains provide different ratios of CBD to THC. So, while CBD is present in some marijuana strains, describing CBD as marijuana would be inaccurate.
CBD oil vs Marijuana Extracts
Although both CBD oil and marijuana extracts originate from the Cannabis genus of plants, they are actually two extremely different products with distinct properties and chemical contents. Marijuana extracts are sourced from marijuana plants, which generally contain moderate to high levels of THC. In contrast, the hemp plants utilized for CBD oil and extracts contain little to no THC content. Why does this matter? THC is the cannabinoid responsible for producing psychoactive effects, or the intoxicated feeling associated with most marijuana products. However, CBD oil is non-psychoactive, simply because it does not contain significant THC content.
How to Use CBD Oil
One of the reasons CBD oil has become so popular is that it can be used in a variety of ways, making it easy to include in your daily routine according to your personal preferences. Many CBD oils, such as tinctures, include a convenient dropper in the cap. CBD vape oils are another popular product, offering vape-ready CBD oil formulations in bottles and easy-to-use cartridges.
Tips for Buying CBD Oil Online
While the growing number of product options, brands, and price points is exciting for the consumer considering CBD, it can also make the shopping process a lot more challenging. With so many brands to choose from, how do you know that you’re selecting one that’s safe and reputable?
Luckily, at DirectCBD can offer a few simple tips to help you shop smart and provide a clear path to CBD oils that will meet your every expectation.
Here are a few suggestions for buying CBD oil and other CBD products online:
- Take time to research your options. CBD oil comes in many different varieties, so you should put effort into finding options that work best for your specific needs. Consider factors like CBD concentration, added ingredients, and user reviews to help you make a well-informed decision. Good brands should provide easy access to third-party lab results, so you can verify the purity of the products you’re thinking about buying. We at DirectCBD provide a Certificate of Analysis (CoA) for every product we sell right on that product's page on our website.
- Consider how CBD best fits into your lifestyle. If you’re hoping to make CBD a part of your daily routine, you should look for a product that won’t add hassle to your everyday life. For some CBD consumers, that might be a basic oil with a dropper, while others may prefer CBD vape oils.
- Don’t focus on finding the cheapest options. While shopping for CBD on a budget is absolutely fine, it’s critical to avoid prices that seem too good to be true. When it comes to CBD, you get what you pay for, and being tempted by rock-bottom prices might leave you with a cheaply-made product with poor-quality ingredients and little to no CBD. DirectCBD focuses on providing transparent pricing for all our CBD products, such as our per-milligram pricing that helps you shop confidently knowing what you see is what you get.
Common CBD Oil Brands
Ready to try CBD oil for yourself? There are a number of excellent brands leading the industry with high-quality, carefully-crafted CBD oils. These names are just a handful of the trustworthy companies out there changing the CBD world for the better with their solid commitment to quality:
- Nu-X: Leading the industry with sky-high standards for quality, purity, and consistency, Nu-X is a well-respected CBD brand that offers CBD oils and other CBD-infused products. Their products represent the ultimate in premium CBD oils, utilizing expert formulations to deliver a consistent consumer experience every single time. In addition to sourcing the highest-quality, hemp-derived CBD, Nu-X also uses excellent ingredients and flavorings to provide an enjoyable, easy-to-use option for CBD newcomers and experienced consumers alike.
- CBDfx: CBDfx makes high-end CBD products accessible to all adult consumers by providing an extensive selection of product types and formulations at fair, affordable prices. The brand sources their CBD from 100-percent organically grown hemp, so you can be confident that your CBDfx oils are free from undesirable pesticides and other common chemicals. With full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and CBD isolate formulations, there truly is a CBDfx product for everyone.
- Lazarus Naturals products: Founded with the goal of providing all-natural, high-quality CBD products for responsible adult consumers, Lazarus Naturals is a socially conscious brand dedicated to serving the CBD community and beyond. All Lazarus Natural Products are 100 percent natural and vegan-friendly, crafted with premium ingredients and hemp-sourced CBD. The brand works tirelessly to keep their products affordable for all CBD consumers and conducts extensive third-party testing that leads the industry in quality assurance.
- Dinner Lady CBD Oils: Dinner Lady is an award-winning brand known for its unparalleled flavor quality and expertly-crafted CBD oils. While the brand’s early years were spent primarily in the vaping industry, their dedicated team poured time and energy into developing CBD oils, e-liquids, and vape additives that raise the bar in terms of quality and taste. You can choose from a range of CBD concentrations and flavor blends, making it easy to find a Dinner Lady product that suits your individual needs.
- Green Roads: Green Roads sets itself apart with pharmacist-formulated CBD products that exceed all expectations for quality and purity, using their proprietary formulations to deliver an unparalleled CBD experience for their customers. Earning the title of the top privately-owned CBD company in America, Green Roads has won multiple awards and has been repeatedly honored for its dedication to the industry. Every single Green Roads CBD product is packaged with scan-friendly codes that connect you to their third-party test results, empowering you to choose only the very best in CBD to add to your natural lifestyle.
Shop CBD Oils for Sale from DirectCBD
For well-tested, high-quality CBD oils and products you can trust, choose DirectCBD as your online retailer. We individually curate each and every product in our catalog, making it possible to shop with confidence no matter what you’re looking for. We’re committed to providing our customers with unparalleled quality and purity, offering high-end CBD products at prices that make CBD accessible on any budget. DirectCBD is happy to play a role in helping you on your journey into the world of CBD, so don’t hesitate to reach out to our team with any questions you may have.
Browse DirectCBD for a wide selection of premium CBD oils, edibles, and more, and discover the CBD products to suit your needs today!