What to Know Before Using CBD for Your Pets
By entering this website, you agree that you're of legal age in your state to purchase hemp and CBD products.
Falsifying your age for the purposes of purchasing products from this website is illegal and punishable by law!
What to Know Before Using CBD for Your Pets
CBD is taking the natural living community by storm, and as it grows in popularity, it’s proving to have serious staying power. While you may have heard of products like CBD-infused oils, creams, and even smoothies, you might be surprised to learn that CBD isn’t just for humans – it’s also emerging as an ingredient in pet-friendly products. CBD oil for cats and dogs, CBD-infused pet treats, and other CBD pet products are hitting store shelves, and you may be wondering if CBD is right for your furry friend.
Nearly every animal lover would agree that doing what's best for their pets is an important priority. If you’re asking yourself, “Is CBD right for my pet?,” we’ve put together a useful guide to CBD pet products to help you make an informed choice for your furry family member. We’re breaking down exactly what CBD is and isn’t, types of pet-friendly products available, and other important facts to help make your decisions..
What is CBD?
CBD is the commonly-used term for cannabidiol, a molecule that naturally occurs in the Cannabis plant genus. It is one of many ‘cannabinoids’ found within members of the Cannabis genus, and used in CBD products for sale today. The CBD molecule is currently being heavily studied by scientists across the globe for what it may potentially offer to humans and animals alike.
CBD is one of two well-known active ingredients in Cannabis plants, the other one being tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. CBD and THC are present in varying amounts depending on the individual subspecies or plant. The two most commonly-known plants are Hemp and Marijuana, though they are different from each other and serve different purposes according to many factors, including their particular levels of CBD and/or THC.
Is CBD the Same Thing as Marijuana?
While many people associate CBD products with conventional marijuana, the two are actually quite distinct. CBD is a cannabinoid that typically extracted from hemp plants that contain little to no THC, which is associated with the “high” experienced through the use of products sourced from THC-rich marijuana plants. CBD is non-intoxicating and non-psychoactive, which is one of the reasons it has grown in popularity.
It is true that some Cannabis plant strains and products can contain both CBD and THC, however, CBD - and more specifically, hemp - and marijuana are not the same thing, nor are they categorized as the same substance federally.
Is CBD for Pets Legal?
CBD for pets and humans are considered federally legal, as long as they meet the requirement of having no more than 0.3% THC content. CBD sourced from hemp products typically adhere to this rule, but it’s always important to read the labels and check the Certificates of Analysis of products you are considering and to keep in mind that CBD is not legal in all municipalities, so you should always check your local laws and regulations.
Types of CBD Products for Pets
CBD products come in a wide variety of forms, so you can choose the one that you feel is best for you and your pet. When you’re shopping for CBD pet products, you may want to consider factors such as the most convenient way for you to give your pet the product. For example, are they a fussy eater and likely to refuse new treats, or are they willing to try anything? You should also ask yourself what your goals are in using CBD products. You may choose a CBD topical if you’re looking to easily apply the cream directly to a targeted area, or a CBD-infused treat as an edible option.
Here are the most common types of CBD pet products you’re likely to see:
- CBD topicals for pets, which can include creams, balms, gels, and lotions.
- CBD oils for pets, which generally combine extracted CBD with a natural carrier oil.
- CBD pet treats, which infuse flavored pet treats with CBD.
- CBD capsules for pets, which look very similar to traditional capsules on the market, but include CBD as an active ingredient.
- CBD pet tinctures, a liquid CBD product that usually comes with a measured dropper.
The best choice for a CBD pet product is largely a personal one and depends on a variety of factors: CBD concentration, personal preference, flavors, forms, and more. You may find that trying a few different options is the best way to determine which one works best for you and your pet.
Potential Concerns when Using CBD for Pets
Because there is still considerable research to be done regarding CBD use with pets, it is always important to consult your veterinarian before introducing your pet to anything new. Whenever giving your pet something new (including CBD), you should always begin with a small amount and closely monitor the effects. Of course, if you notice any alarming signs while using CBD with your pets, the best course of action is to discontinue use immediately and speak with a veterinarian.
Tips for Using CBD with Your Pets
If you’re planning on trying CBD with your pets, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Always Talk to Your Vet First - Every pet is different, and it’s important to talk to your vet before giving them any new product or supplement. A professional can provide detailed information about your specific pet, including any concerns or recommendations they may have.
- Set Realistic Expectations - Just like any other product, CBD might be a good fit for your pet – or it may not. Evaluating the response your pet has to CBD products should be done over time by you and your veterinarian together.
- Do Thorough Research - Take the time to research the various uses of CBD, including product types, concentrations, and other factors. This will help you select an ideal product for your pet, setting you and them up for the best possible experience.
- Stick with Reputable Brands and Retailers - Avoid simply going with the cheapest option, and instead look for well-respected brands and retailers. Choose companies that adhere to strict testing processes, that freely provide information about their product’s purity and test results, and utilize natural, organic ingredients whenever possible.
Shop CBD Products for Pets from Direct CBD
For animal lovers trying to figure out where to buy well-tested CBD products for pets, sorting through the growing number of CBD retailers can feel overwhelming. It’s important to find a retailer you can trust to provide high-quality, authentic, and rigorously tested products so you can shop confidently without worrying about false advertising and knockoffs.
At DirectCBD, we are dedicated to leading the industry when it comes to our standards for quality, integrity, and innovation, and connecting our customers with a selection of respected brands and carefully-crafted products. We offer an extensive range of CBD for sale, including pet-friendly products such as CBD oil for dogs and cats, tasty CBD pet treats, CBD topicals, and more. DirectCBD makes it easy for you to shop a variety of CBD pet products in one easy-to-browse place so you can choose the best option for your pet.
Browse our selection of pet-friendly CBD products or contact the DirectCBD team today for more information about using CBD with your pets.